What if the work you did every day could impact the lives of people you know? Or all of humanity?
At Illumina, we are expanding access to genomic technology to realize health equity for billions of people around the world. Our efforts enable life-changing discoveries that are transforming human health through the early detection and diagnosis of diseases and new treatment options for patients.
Working at Illumina means being part of something bigger than yourself. Every person, in every role, has the opportunity to make a difference. Surrounded by extraordinary people, inspiring leaders, and world-changing projects, you will do more and become more than you ever thought possible.
The Scientist joining our team will help to build a deep understanding of our library prep products and reagents by linking analytical observations to functional sequencing outputs. These understandings will be used to develop Illumina’s next generation of products, and to support products that are used in clinical applications today. You will work cross-functionally with colleagues across Illumina to achieve these goals. The ideal candidate can apply their current knowledge and skillset to a working team while having a passion to learn and grow their scientific expertise in new areas.
- Independently design and optimize, execute, and analyze biochemical, biophysical, and analytical experimental studies relating to library prep products and reagents
- Interpret NGS data and correlate with reagent characterization results
- Communicate in a clear and concise manner the project results in the form of oral communication, written reports, and technical meetings
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- Operate a variety of analytical tools that range from common to highly specialized
Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not an exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs.
- Experience leading a project from start to finish
- Strong scientific ability to approach problems, troubleshoot, and optimize experiments
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong knowledge in protein or nucleic acid biochemistry, biophysics, or molecular biology
- Adaptable to changing priorities and dynamic work environments
- Ability to develop and support highly collaborative work
- Lab skills associated with any of the following: nucleic acids, proteins, colloids, or soft matter
- Must have a Ph.D. degree with 0-3 years of relevant experience, or a M.S. degree with 3-5 years of experience, in analytical or physical chemistry, biophysics, biochemistry, molecular biology, physics, material science, biological or chemical engineering or similar background of training.
- Knowledge and familiarity with NGS workflows and basic analysis of sequencing data is desired, but not required.
All listed requirements are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities. Concerns regarding COVID-19 continue as positive cases are experienced in the communities in which we operate. Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, Illumina may require proof of COVID vaccination in accordance with local statutory requirements (subject to limited exceptions) beginning November 1, 2021.At Illumina, we strive to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace by cultivating an environment in which everyone contributes to our mission. Built on a strong foundation, Illumina has always been rooted in openness, collaboration, and seeking alternative views and perspectives to propel innovation in genomics. We are proud to confirm a zero-net gap in pay, regardless of gender, ethnicity, or race. We also have several Employee Resource Groups (ERG) that deliver career development experiences, increase cultural awareness, and demonstrate our collective commitment to diversity and inclusion in the communities we live and work. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you require accommodation to complete the application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf